Friday, June 17, 2011

How I see things: A Drupal devel to a Drupal Designer

Its hard dealing with clients that are so...."technologically challenged". You would think that with a designer, things would go a bit easier - well not exactly. As a Drupal developer, I had done my fair share of hand-holding first time designers working on their first Drupal site - also true for clients.

From experience, first time clients and designers need to understand that we simply won't always see eye-to-eye on all things when it comes to Drupal.  All this reasons have been confirmed by a recent research done by the University of Minnesota on Drupal Usability.
  1. Drupal terminology confuses clients and designers alike. Words like "node", "block", "views" or "module" have different meanings to clients and designers compared to what I understand what they mean in the Drupal context.
  2. Clients and Designers see different things when looking at a Drupal webpage.
  3. How they see and what I see
  4. Drupal doesn't really make distinctions between frontend and backend - Yes, I am taking about clients familiar with Joomla.
  5. As a developer, I don't do design that well. As Forrest Lyman (of Pro Zend Framework Techniques) said:
    A great deal of this boils down to one of the most striking differences between programming and design:
    • The foundation of programming is binary logic; there is a right and wrong way to implement a given algorithm.
    • The foundation of design is how your brain interprets what it sees; since everyone interprets things differently, it is impossible to say whether something is right or wrong.
    True That.
Go with the flow, I guess. What else exactly am I gonna do other than educating them?

No comments:

Post a Comment